To Be - Past Tense
English Exercises - Answers
A) Fill in the gap with the correct form of To Be
3. were -- were
10. were -- was
B) Create a sentence using the words below using the correct form of To Be.
Sometimes the verb needs to appear twice and in different tenses.
1. He was fat last year but now he is thin.
2. I was late to the meeting.
3. My friend was very lucky.
4. Yesterday was the 21st, today is the 22nd.
5. It was cold and rainy; it was not sunny and hot.
6. Bert was a policeman, he was not a firefighter.
C) Answer the following questions using the past form of To Be
(Possible Answers – Your answers will probably be different)
1. I was at the beach
2. I was with my family
3. She was at home.
4. Yes, I was.
5. He was very happy.
6. Because the students were late to class.
If you are looking for the Free Grammar Worksheet for this activity, you will find it here:
To Be in Past Tense Exercises (PDF)
If you found these English Grammar Exercises useful, share them with others: