Spelling Rules -ING
English Grammar Notes
The following is a guide to the correct spelling of –ing forms of verbs and gerunds.
The general rule when changing a verb into its -ING form is just to add -ING to the end of the verb.
- She wasn't feeling very well.
- He is working on a new project.
- The children are sleeping so be quiet.
The following exceptions exist when spelling words ending in ING:
1). If the verb ends in an E we remove the E and add ING.
- People are living longer now than they were 100 years ago.
- We are making a chocolate cake.
- He was taking his time to get ready.
2). If the verb ends in a consonant + vowel + consonant, we double the final consonant and add ING.
- The policeman is stopping the traffic.
- We are planning a surprise party for our teacher.
- I think I am getting a cold.
3). If a two-syllable verb ends in a consonant + vowel + consonant, we do not double the final consonant when the stress is on the first syllable.
- What is happening?
- They are offering a discount.
- Many people are suffering from lack of food and water.
4). But, we do not double the final consonant when the verb ends in W, X or Y or when the final syllable is not emphasized.
- He fixing his bike.
- We are enjoying this great weather.
- It's snowing outside.
5). If the verb ends in IE we change it to YING.
- I know you are lying to me!
- You should water your plant more because I think it is dying.
- The little boy is tying his shoelaces.
6). If the verb ends in consonant + vowel + L, we normally double the final L and add ING.
Note: In the United States (US) they do not double the L when the accent is on the first syllable.
|Infinitive|| ING form|
| ING form|
- I have been travelling around South America for 6 months.
- He was marvelling at her beauty.
7). If the verb ends in a stressed vowel + R, we double the final R and add ING.
- Are you referring to this one or that one?
- They are thinking of deferring payment of their mortgage.
8). If the verb ends in an unstressed vowel + R, we do not double the final R and add ING.
- I am offering you a special deal.
- He is now suffering the consequences of his actions.
- I wonder what he is whispering in her ear.
If you found these spelling rules useful, share them with others: